Skip to main content

Prospective Students - Master's and PhD

Master of Science (MS)

The Master of Science degree is awarded to students who have mastered professional training in selected areas of civil engineering. Such training is gained through graduate course work which, unlike undergraduate course work, consists of elective courses and directed research or design. Students pursuing the thesis option gain the added dimension of participating in research work (usually funded) at the cutting edge of the profession. This research work culminates in a high-quality presentation - the thesis. Alternatively, the student may elect to complete a less intensive research--a design study called a project. The degree normally requires a minimum of 18 months (3 semesters) beyond the bachelor’s degree.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

The PhD is awarded to candidates who have made a significant contribution to knowledge in a particular specialization of civil engineering. Such a contribution is achieved through research which involves a thorough review of applicable literature, completion of carefully planned work, and a high-quality presentation of the new knowledge - the dissertation. Adequate course work is necessary to provide a foundation of expertise for quality research. The degree normally requires a minimum of 2 years beyond the master’s degree.


Bachelors Degree - U.S. and Canadian Students

Students must have or be about to receive a bachelors degree from an accredited institution in the United States or Canada. Students must upload an unofficial transcript or academic record for each institution attended (even if you didn't receive a degree) in the Educational Background section of the online application. These scanned copies must be uploaded BEFORE you submit the application. Make sure your name appears on the transcript/record.

  • Current and former BYU students should upload a PDF copy of their transcripts, which can be accessed on MyBYU by clicking on 'view grades' and selecting Progress Report.

Bachelors Degree - International Students

Applicants with international degrees and transcripts should upload a scanned copy of their completed IERF credential evaluation report. Non-legible scans will not be accepted. Be sure to start the IERF credential evaluation 8 - 10 weeks before your admission deadline.

  • Send official transcripts, mark sheets, diplomas, and graduation certificates to IERF for a credential evaluation.
  • This report will provide us with information that includes your degree equivalency, GPA, and coursework.
  • Documents should also include English translations.

They must also pass the IELTS exam (with a minimum score of 7.0 total and minimum of 6.0 in each module), TOEFL Computer-Based Exam (with a score of 237 or better), TOEFL Paper-Based Exam (with a score of 580 or better), or the TOEFL iBT Exam (with a minimum total of 85, 22 in Speaking, and 21 in Listening, Reading, and Writing). In addition, they must have financial clearance from the University.

Grade Point Average

To be considered for regular admission, prospective masters students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and prospective doctoral students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher. Students with GPAs lower than these values may be admitted on a provisional basis if approved by the department graduate committee.

Required Tests

U.S. and International Students:


Standards of Personal Conduct

Students must agree to maintain university standards of personal conduct. They can be found here.

Application Fees and Deadlines

Currently, there is a fee of $50 in applying to BYU's Graduate Programs. On-line applications are required. Students must submit a complete application with the appropriate fee to the Office of Graduate Studies (FPH) by the following deadlines:


Financial Aid

Departmental Scholarships

Masters or PhD candidates are eligible to apply for scholarships each year. Applications may be obtained in January on the department web site; the awards are given in June for the next academic year. Selection is based on need and scholastic merit (primarily using the program GPA). These scholarships may be received in addition to any assistantships or privately endowed awards listed below unless the total financial aid package exceeds the scholarship limit stipulated by the university.

Research Assistantships

The Civil and Environmental Engineering faculty have funds from both off-campus and on-campus sources to support research assistants. These awards support students at the normal current pay rate for research work up to 30 hours/week. This research work normally applies toward completion of the student's thesis or dissertation.

Teaching Assistantships

All graduate students are eligible to be TAs. The assistantships range from 10-20 hours per week and consist of grading labs and grading courses.

Privately-Endowed Awards

For department scholarship information click here.

Resources and Opportunities

The Fulton College of Engineering, of which the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is a part, has experienced rapid growth in funded research during the past decade.

Faculty research areas include: collapsible soils; composite materials; finite element modeling; foundation earthquake engineering; hydraulics and steam restoration; industrial and hazardous waste control; optimization in design; concrete and bituminous pavements; surface, watershed and groundwater modeling; earthquake resistant structures; and transportation studies.